Monday, February 27, 2006

That's all Folks!

Surprise, it's been just over 10 months and I've decided to pull the plug. That is, my trip is finished and this blog posting is coming to you from the comfort of my parents home in Toronto. Im a huge fan of Seinfeld, not just the show but also the guy. One thing ive always admired about Jerry was his decision to cancel the show after years of being the top comedy on TV. I guess he sensed it was starting to slip so he ended it. "It's better to go out on top then fade away". A few days ago i made the same decision with regards to my trip. The last couple of months have been absolutely amazing: the unreal beauties of the antarctic, my most amazing trekking experiences in patagonia, livin "the life" in my favorite city in the world and finally experiencing carnival with my long time buddy. And although central america would have it's own share of highlights, I realized that this was the moment to go out on top. What is interesting is that there were two events that were the tipping points in my thought process:
1) While on top of Volcan Baru, my camera decided to call it quits.
2) Stubbed my toes, loosing a couple toe nails. There is a great and lengthy story behind how this happened but ill save it for a good travel tale over beer.
Of course this meant no hiking for the next few weeks and of course no photography. In addition, I read through Lonely Planet Central america and there absolutely nothing i was dying to see or experience...everything i had dreamed about for so long, i had already achieved. Add to this the joy of returning to family after a long time apart made this one of the simplest decisions of my life (literaly was made in 2 minutes).

I hope you've enjoyed following me around for the last little while, reading my tales and soaking up the pics. Seems strange, but today is the happiest ive ever been. Maybe it's the feeling of accomplishing a dream, or the memories of experiences or the prospect of things to come. The feeling is similar to the day you graduate university...minus all the built up stress.

Finally, let me answer the question everyone keeps asking me "What was your favorite place?". It's very complex since ones enjoyment of a particular place heavily depends on many factors: your interests, weather, what languages you speak and most importantly the people you meet. That said, below is a list of my fav places broken up by the two legs of my trip:

Europe Leg
Amsterdam (it's amsterdam!)
Prague (best over-touristed town)
Sarajevo (best non-touristed town)
Granada (ultimate Andalusian experience)
Munich (feels like an amazing city to live in)
Poland (huge bias here)
Alps - French & Swiss (best hiking)
Morocco (most interesting culture)

South America Leg
Bolivia (undiscovered natural beauty, friendliest people)
Argentina (country that captured my heart)
Buenos Aires (in Argentina, but so amazing it's worthy of another note)
Cuzco (backpacker heaven)
Patagonia (best hiking)

Of course, if you got a bit of excess cash, then the antarctic is not to be missed!


Hasta la vista!

12 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude !

That was really nice to "follow" you around the world. I hope you will not pull the plug on this blog, 'cause I'm pretty sure it'll be used as a reliable guide for anyone who wishes to travel in those wonderfull places you've been.

Keep in touch, man !

---
Yannick.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Bartek Kunowski said...

No prob, blog will stay up as long as Google doesn't go out of business :)

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was the nicest surprise in my life! you Bart, showing up at the door without even letting us know that you are coming home! You are amazing!!!!!! WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Bart ... welcome back ... me, Ian, JD, and Ledge were out for beers last week unaware that you would be home so quickly ... let's get out again soon, some night when those guys don't go to sleep by 10:30 ... love to hear the uncensored tales ...

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Bartek Kunowski said...

Sounds good Ritch, next week will probably be best for me.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Shawn Martelock said...

Bart, it has been a pleasure reading your blog over the last 10 months. Also, it was privilege to have been there in Panama for the grand finale :)

Enjoy Home.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Well done, my friend. Na zdravi.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Lisa & Ida said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Lisa & Ida said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Lisa & Ida said...

It has been very nice to follow your amazing trip Bartek. Beautiful pictures and funny stories. What will I do now?

Take Care!


Ida

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Bartek Kunowski said...

Im sorry Ida, ive been entertaining people long enough! :)

Ryan, you're in TO, great. Beer always sounds good.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Matteo said...

Hi Bart!!!

It's always sad when something dreamt for a long time turns to the end, but maybe it only means it's time for a new adventure to begin!

See you again, someday somewhere!
...and keep on travelling!!!
Matteo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home