Sunday, June 26, 2005

Classical Music

I set off on a grand tour of downtown Vienna. I didn't get very far...while walking through the Imperial Palace I came to a romanesque building shaped like a dome. Inside, i estimate the ceiling was 80m. Nothing particularly interesting inside since a street road and pedestrian sidewalk going right though the building...although the architecture on the walls and cieling is stunning. A chelo player sat against the wall playing beautiful classical music. I sat down, closed my eyes and didn't leave that spot for 2 hours. The acoustics of such a building make the music experience so much more enjoyable. I think this is the first time in my life where ive sat through a couple hours of classical music and not have been bored. While listening there were always other ambient sounds: the clapping of sandals against a person's heals as they walked by, the ticking sound a bike makes when you stop pedaling, the clicking of a dog's chain, the trotting of a horse and of course the odd car. But there was on moment, it couldn't have lasted more than 10 seconds when all distractions when silent. It felt like a staged scene...everything acting in unison. People exited on both sides of the building, no dogs, no horses, no cars. Even the man who was standing next to me received a phone call and left. And there i was, in Vienna, sitting in the Imperial Palace listening to my very own, private, classical music concert.

After this, i needed some more...so i went to see a real concert at a place called Sound of Vienna. The orchestra played mostly Strauss and Mozart pieces; there was ballet/waltz dances and singing. Since this was a spur of the moment thing...i showed up in my hiking cloths...somehow they let me in. I felt a little uncomfortable at first...but i had the last laugh. It's warm in vienna and with a sold out show...the room got hot real quick. I could see the irritated looks on people's faces...foreheads red from the heat...just trying to make it though. But they did look good in suits. I on the other hand, with my REI synthetic clothing, had no problem dispersing the head. Every now and then, i would reach down to my Sigg water bottle and take a sip of my cold water while others watched in jealousy. Fun time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home