Thursday, August 11, 2005

Gotta get out

Over the last few days in Istanbul ive had some interesting experiences. When entering big markets ive continued the tactic that worked so well for me in morocco. Whenever a person approaches me (most of the time to sell you something or take you to their shop) the first question they always ask is 'where you from?'. Sometimes they try to guess right off the start...ive been incorrectly identified as australian and dutch. Anyway, once they figure out where you're from, they switch to that language. The response of 'Polska' followed by a few lines of polish leaves them looking confused and they just walk away. Well, i was completely shocked when yesterday, a turkish dude busted out his polish like it was nobodies business. Im not talking about simple phrases...we started having a conversion. I was so impressed that i entered his leather jacket store and gave it the once-over before i thanked him and left.

A few days ago i purchased a train ticket to bulgaria. Last night i show up at the station and ask the information desk guy where to find the train. 'No train to bulgaria tonight. Train cancelled'. No other explanation followed and he didn't seem interested talking to me any further. I took out my ticket and he told me to go to desk #4. At desk #4, i again was confronted by a man without an explanation...when i pulled out my ticket his hands reached under the little whole in the glass separating us...i slowly gave him my ticket...he quickly stamped it a few times, put it in a drawer and gave me a full refund. No trains today, no trains tomorrow. Later at my hostel i found out that there have been no trains to bulgaria for 6 months ever since some floods destroyed the tracks...but for some reason they continue to sell tickets and refund them...i guess it keeps people employed which is a good thing. Well, i got a bus ticket today and should be in bulgaria tomorrow in the AM.

2 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it appears that the spammers have found your blog, Bart...

-chris

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Bartek Kunowski said...

bastards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home